Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowmagedden/Iceocalypse/THUNDERSNOW

I think THUNDERSNOW is now my new favorite word. It is so impressive that I feel it needs to be in all caps whenever it is written. It sounds that awesome, especially when said aloud. Go ahead and say it. THUNDERSNOW. It is kind of hard to say it without resorting to a deep voice reminiscent of heavy metal vocalists. THUNDERSNOW (one more just for good measure).

I was not actually in Chicago to witness this awesome-sounding phenomenon, but I heard about it from friends and family. I am quite disappointed I missed it because I love snow storms and sadly I did not get to experience a blizzard here in Bloomington. But I did live through Iceocalypse 2011 at IU. And that did manage to cancel most of my classes for the better part of two days. I guess that is not too bad.

But what was Iceocalypse 2011? Pretty much the entire city of Bloomington was covered in ice, from streets to sidewalks to tree branches. By Tuesday afternoon the city had shut down its public offices and IU canceled all classes through the next morning, and that was later extended through Wednesday afternoon. So in case you are keeping score, that is six classes canceled for me.

Talk about a weekend in the middle of the week. One test got pushed back to next week and so did a rough draft for an essay. Have I mentioned I love ice storms? But it was not all perfect. Taking even three steps outside my dorm put me at risk of slipping and falling and hurting and suffering and dying. And starving. The places that sold food closed early, leaving me to somehow ration a couple of bags of chips, a jar of nutella and two snack bars.

And contemplating cannibalism, which leads me to this question: who do you cannibalize first, the fat guy or the annoying guy? Think about it. Both have their merits. The fat guy has ample amounts of meat to last you a while as well as the option to be a make-shift Tauntaun in case your building loses heat. The annoying guy will finally shut the hell up and that pretty much is the only justification you need to cannibalize him. Maybe if you are extra lucky the fat guy will also be the annoying guy.

Anyway, I was able to make the Cheetos last so there was no need for cannibalism. But that is ok, I will store that plan away until the the next Iceocalypse. And then there was a fire alarm. Yup, another fire alarm. Remember how much I love those? Well this was number eleven. Eleven. ELEVEN. Or three, if you are counting in binary.

For some reason I went outside in shorts and flip-flops because I am just that awesome/incredibly stupid/too lazy to dress warmly. As it turns out, if you leave your toes exposed for more than five minutes in temperatures below twenty (or six, if you are counting in ternary), they go numb. Like I said, I am just that awesome/stupid/too lazy to dress warmly. But I prefer to blame the fire alarm. The eleventh fire alarm. ELEVENTH (don't worry, no counting in quaternary here).

So yeah, that has been the extent of Iceocalypse 2011. It has been cold and slippery and a fantastic opportunity to sleep in as late you want to. Also, if I ever start a heavy metal band I will definitely call it THUNDERSNOW.

Until next time, Orange Hay Guy

THUNDERSNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment