Monday, May 16, 2011

Rise Against

I like punk rock. That being said, let it be known that I enjoy it for what it is: music, nothing more. I happen to like fast, guitar-driven music and sometimes I'm in the mood for rebellious, in-your-face lyrics. Ergo, I like punk rock, as I said. But it's just another branch on my tree of musical tastes. I understand the message within the music, but the punk rock lifestyle or look isn't for me. And there's also the amusing and inherent irony concerning punk rock being genre of music that promotes non-conformity and yet at the same time is quite popular and whose fan base is united around this idea.

There's a good chance that I just don't understand the punk rock culture, and if that seems to be the case, please forgive me for sounding like I'm railing against it. I find it hard to fit into any sort of lifestyle, music-based or otherwise. I want to be defined on my own terms, which invariably leaves me unable to fit into anything. I guess I value my individuality a little too much. But maybe that's just me. I've been called picky before.

Anyway, what sparked this little soliloquy was a concert I attended the other night. Four Years Strong, Bad Religion, and Rise Against played the last show of their tour at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on a cold and rainy Saturday night. As I stood in line waiting to get in, and as I stood amongst the crowd once the doors did open, I was very much conscious of how much passion everyone seemed to have for these bands and punk rock itself. This isn't to say that I'm not passionate about certain bands or musical genres, but I tend to view music solely as performance art.

It's sort pointless to argue this however, as there may be nothing more subjective than one's own musical preferences. Sometimes they're easy to explain, and other times they're not. And once you get past this, as I have, it's so much easier to enjoy whatever you listen to. And if you happen to go to a concert, you can find yourself having a tremendously fun time, as I did.

It was loud, it was hot, at some points it was violent, but most of all, it was fun. I went to the concert with a friend, and it's always easier to let loose when you know someone and not alone. But before the first Rise Against song was over, we were already separated by the monstrous crowd. And you know what? It didn't even matter. There I was, surrounded by thousands of passionate (and sweaty), having the time of my life for a good hour-and-a-half.

I have found that there are some bands that don't translate well from your iPod to your ears unless you go to see them live. It's one thing to hear the clean-cut studio tracks from your computer or CD player. It's another to hear them played in their natural element: live, too loud (if there is such a thing), and being belted out in front of diehard fans. I'm a pretty reserved guy and I don't like drawing much attention to myself when I'm out in public or surrounded by people I don't know. And yet there I was, jumping up and down, waving my hands in the air, moshing, and screaming my head off. Because Rise Against, who are from Chicago, know how to put on a good show.

As you might expect, they played fast and furious. For a good hour the music was unrelenting and overpowering. At around the sixty minute mark, the band slowed down and played acoustic numbers, a welcome change of pace that gave people such as myself a chance to catch our breath and rest for a minute before they kicked it back up again for the second volley of the performance.

By the time the night was over, I was exhausted, covered in sweat, and had a killer ringing in my ears. When I went to bed a few hours later, I could still feel the swaying of the crowd, like how you can still feel the slight rumbling of a plane after taking a long flight. It's hard for me to remember a concert I've been to where I've had this much fun. And I wouldn't have had this much fun if I hadn't decided to let loose and just enjoy Rise Against's music, and just listen to it. Listen, nothing more, nothing less. That's my approach to music, and it's worked so far.

Until next time, Orange Hat Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment