Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tornado!

What an exciting place to live my dorm is. We have problems with fire alarms, elevators and no longer having any trays in the dining hall (I will not blog about that, considering it will just wind up being one long rant). And this morning we had to deal with a tornado warning. Fun times.

Sometime around 9 a.m. I was awoken by someone knocking on my door and talking about a tornado warning. Tired and confused, I opened my door to see our floor custodian (who is one cool dude, mind you) banging on everyone's door alerting them about the tornado warning. Why the the janitor doing this and not the RA? I do not know. Perhaps our RA was in class. But the point is I find it funny that I get alerted to a rather serious situation by our floor custodian and not another RA.

Here is the funny thing though: while he told us the safest place to go was to the center ring of the basement, it was not mandatory. Yup, you read that correctly. It was a recommendation that we evacuate our floor and proceed to the basement. Apparently it was required that we be informed of the situation and that we are aware of the option to proceed to the basement but it was not required that we actually go there. Makes perfect sense, right?

But of course I am no idiot. I go downstairs to the basement, thinking about the amount of sleep I am losing because of this stupid weather. It also occurred to me that last night may have been the wrong night to stay up beyond 3 a.m. to finish watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer (though to be fair, the ending to season 6 was FANTASTIC and totally worth the lack of sleep I was beginning to accumulate).

Anyway, back to the basement. We sit there cold, tired, hungry and pillow-less. I brought my laptop, really for no good reason other than to keep from dying from boredom. Facebook, email, other email, other other email, ESPN, Twitter, weather.com, Facebook again. Finally we were given the all-clear after about 15 minutes and slowly trudged back up the stairs to our rooms to go back to sleep.

So yeah. Tornado procedures at my dorm did not feel like anything new: dumb, confusing and time-consuming. Another funny thing: I received an alert text from IU that the tornado warning had been lifted, but I never got one telling that there was one in the first place. Maybe they should work on that or something.

And (last time I swear) I cannot stress enough how AMAZING the ending of season 6 of Buffy was. And if you do disagree, let me say this: with all due respect, go die in a fire.

Until next time, Orange Hat Guy

P.S. I should add that I still have to attend classes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment